Skip to main content

Babies Emerge From Saguaro Homes

 I have had an exceptionally busy last few weeks.  I know that I am not alone in this however I have a rather nasty habit of giving up the very thing that makes me happiest and healthiest when I get very busy.  Some people might skip the gym or yoga class while others might eat much more fast food to save time.  I tend to skip my outings into nature.  As I talked about before, nature not only helps me find peace and focus but also helps me to feel more creative, connected to myself, and happier in general.  Earlier this week, I really didn't have the time but I took just one hour to venture into the wilderness and was rewarded by the continuation of nesting season and some babies beginning to emerge.


Duck Nest Behind Grass

I first stopped by a local lake and was treated to the sight of several ducks sitting on their nests.  They both had fantastic hiding places and each year I am struck by how very patient birds are.  These ducks will likely sit on their nests for weeks until their babies hatch. 

White Duck on Nest

 I know that 
some birds have partners who will take turns sitting on the nest which gives each a break here and there but I don't believe that is the case with ducks though please correct me if I am wrong.  I am basing that assumption on the fact that along with the ducks sitting on their nests, I also saw lots of male ducks floating on the water and foraging for food while the ladies were patiently waiting.


Baby Gila Woodpecker on Saguaro

I then headed into the desert and was rewarded with two birds who reacted to being out of their saguaro homes in opposite ways.  This little Gila woodpecker puffed himself up and clung to the side of the saguaro just outside his home.  His home was pretty much directly in front of him as another woodpecker family had a nest in the hole clearly seen in the photo.  He looked rather scared yet curious at the same time.  His head was the only thing on his entire rigid body that moved.  I watched for some time until he very slowly decided to make his way back into the nest likely for a nice long nap.



This starling on the other hand was heard before seen.  He was making such a commotion that I believe it would have been impossible for me not to notice him.  He was screaming, screeching, and otherwise making his feelings known probably to the parent in the nest.  He didn't want to be outside and wanted all to hear.  To his credit, he not only clung to the side of the saguaro cactus and made noise but he also tried to flap.  His flapping wasn't going to get him anywhere since he only seemed to flap one wing at a time but he tried.  One time it appeared that he was going to duck back into his cozy nest but whoever was inside felt otherwise and he remained clinging to the outside.  I watched for some time rooting him on and hoping I would see his first flight but he never got both wings coordinated and I moved on wishing him luck as I left.


After my short venture this past week, I felt happy, peaceful, and returned feeling creative and ready to tackle the rest of my day.  Each week, I remind myself that these journeys are needed for my mental health and each week it is one of the first things to be removed from my schedule.  Will I ever learn?  I certainly hope so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant

 Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant Did you know that the saguaro cactus grows only in certain parts of Arizona, Mexico, and California?  I became instantly enthused with the saguaro cactus when I moved to Arizona 16 years ago.  In fact, my enthusiasm has become something of a household joke as my family is so accustomed to seeing saguaro cacti in our daily lives.  Neighbors have the towering saguaro standing like sentinels in the front yards though in reality, the cactus was likely there long before the home was built. Protected Desert Plant Saguaro cacti can live a very long time.  Over 150 years old is not at all uncommon and the arms you see growing out from the cactus usually don't start to appear until the cactus is 75-100 years old.  Like all cactus plants, they grow very slowly and are not easily replaced when one is lost.  They are actually a protected plant species in Arizona.  When a new road is being put in or a housing development starts wandering into what once was

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates  Last week, I talked about the hungry sparrows feasting among my jujube trees.  Apparently many have not heard of a jujube or red date before and are curious what to do with them besides just eating them from the tree.  Just to recap in case you have not read my previous post, when mostly yellowish in color they taste a little like a dry apple.  They get sweeter as they turn a reddish color and as they turn completely red and start to wrinkle slightly, they are closer to a raisin or a date.   No matter how you eat them, don't forget that there is a pit in the center.  I find that cutting them close to the pit around each side is the easiest way to rid the fruit of the pit. The Varied Uses of Jujubes The light green to yellow jujubes are easily shredded and used any time apples are called for.  I have used them in breads, muffins, and mixed with pear or apples for a fruit crisp when shredded right from the tree.   I have mixed them in pancake batter in

Thorns, Needles, and Spikes Thrive in Arizona

  When most people think of Arizona they tend to think of desert and cactus.  Southwestern cactus bring to mind long needles and plants that can be admired but steered clear of.  While we do have a huge variety of cacti in our state, cacti are not the only plants to use needles, thorns, or spikes to protect themselves.   Barrel Cactus Pillow Available in Our Store by southwestcreations So why does a cactus plant have needles?  The obvious answer is to protect themselves but why do they need so much protection.  Cacti are made up of a huge amount of water.  The mighty saguaro for example can be caused to topple from too much water.  A cactus will soak up water and store it allowing it to get through our long periods of drought.  Animals seek out water and so a quick meal on a cactus pad can provide needed water for animals.  While the needles keep away some animals, there are others that are very adapted to life in the desert.  Javelina for example will munch on a cactus plant