Skip to main content

Technology Break At Home

 I should state that I like technology.  I like that people around the world can be connected so easily.  I like seeing images from across the globe on Twitter, I like texting my sister about something I wanted to ask her, and I like that I can share a short video and a smile with someone in just a few clicks.


No Technology Experiment

Some time ago, I talked about giving up technology over a vacation.  It was almost two full weeks of giving up almost all forms of technology and really disconnecting with the world.  It was two weeks of living in the moment and just immersing myself in where I was and who I was with.  The vacation gave me a mental boost.  Being disconnected and not constantly on call added to the experience and proved to be an overwhelmingly positive experience.  


Constantly Connected

Constantly Connected Technology

Recently, I have begun to notice just how much technology dominates my days.  I should state that while my camera might be technology, I don't wish to step away from my camera and would likely be very sad to not have it at the ready.  My camera is really more of an extension of myself than a distraction.  My laptop and phone however leave me constantly in touch and "available" to the needs of others.  This is a fact of daily life today for many of us.  Being a short text, phone call, or message away from everyone can be exhausting.  While there is some comfort in the fact that anyone can get ahold of me in an emergency, thankfully very few things are a true emergency.


Break From Technology 

I began thinking about whether or not a technology break for part of a day was possible while still at home and not on vacation.  The idea has popped in and out of my mind for many weekends but I have never acted on it.  My journeys into nature each week are mostly technology-free but my phone is always in my pocket not only for safety but also in case someone needs me for something while I am away.  So I tend to be connected even when I am disconnecting in nature.  My phone number has been accidentally placed on a food truck website recently however and they don't seem in a hurry to correct their error.  This leaves me with calls and texts for catering orders and questions about the food truck almost it seems around the clock.  This fact pushed me into making an attempt to step back for a day over a recent weekend.



The Plan

Vacation seems like an easier time to give up technology since many people already know that I am gone and don't tend to reach out.  Certainly, work issues don't typically come up over vacation so that takes a large portion of my technology use out of the equation.  My plan at home was to disconnect as much as possible from late morning until early evening.  Eight hours without checking my phone, laptop, or tablet one time.  A little trial to see how being technology-free at home for a longer period of time might be able to work.  Obviously, this wouldn't work on a working day but on a Saturday or Sunday, I thought that I could give it a try.  


The Result


Happy and Content Emoji

T
he world continued to work as expected and no one fell to serious harm or damage while I was disconnected.  I typically feel like there is an expectation by others for a text message to be returned quickly.  This might just be my perception though which is slightly odd as I am not someone who expects an immediate or even an answer within a few hours.  While I did get many text messages, no one seemed too put off that they were not answered until evening though there were plenty of questions about whether or not I was alright and why I wasn't answering.  Perhaps next time I should advertise to those that text me the most that I will be tucking my phone away until evening. 
I also experienced glimpses of that creativity and the mental break that I achieved while on vacation.  I laid on a blanket in the sun.  I sketched and let my mind wander.  I breathed deep and felt a sense of freedom and separation from normal life.  


Would I do it again?  Absolutely.  Next time I will likely let a handful of people know that I will not be checking my phone until evening.  I would make a go for the vast majority of the day without technology next time and see how it works.  I discovered that it is much easier to give up technology while on vacation but it is not impossible to give it up while at home.  It just might take some special planning.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant

 Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant Did you know that the saguaro cactus grows only in certain parts of Arizona, Mexico, and California?  I became instantly enthused with the saguaro cactus when I moved to Arizona 16 years ago.  In fact, my enthusiasm has become something of a household joke as my family is so accustomed to seeing saguaro cacti in our daily lives.  Neighbors have the towering saguaro standing like sentinels in the front yards though in reality, the cactus was likely there long before the home was built. Protected Desert Plant Saguaro cacti can live a very long time.  Over 150 years old is not at all uncommon and the arms you see growing out from the cactus usually don't start to appear until the cactus is 75-100 years old.  Like all cactus plants, they grow very slowly and are not easily replaced when one is lost.  They are actually a protected plant species in Arizona.  When a new road is being put in or a housing development starts wandering into what once was

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates  Last week, I talked about the hungry sparrows feasting among my jujube trees.  Apparently many have not heard of a jujube or red date before and are curious what to do with them besides just eating them from the tree.  Just to recap in case you have not read my previous post, when mostly yellowish in color they taste a little like a dry apple.  They get sweeter as they turn a reddish color and as they turn completely red and start to wrinkle slightly, they are closer to a raisin or a date.   No matter how you eat them, don't forget that there is a pit in the center.  I find that cutting them close to the pit around each side is the easiest way to rid the fruit of the pit. The Varied Uses of Jujubes The light green to yellow jujubes are easily shredded and used any time apples are called for.  I have used them in breads, muffins, and mixed with pear or apples for a fruit crisp when shredded right from the tree.   I have mixed them in pancake batter in

Thorns, Needles, and Spikes Thrive in Arizona

  When most people think of Arizona they tend to think of desert and cactus.  Southwestern cactus bring to mind long needles and plants that can be admired but steered clear of.  While we do have a huge variety of cacti in our state, cacti are not the only plants to use needles, thorns, or spikes to protect themselves.   Barrel Cactus Pillow Available in Our Store by southwestcreations So why does a cactus plant have needles?  The obvious answer is to protect themselves but why do they need so much protection.  Cacti are made up of a huge amount of water.  The mighty saguaro for example can be caused to topple from too much water.  A cactus will soak up water and store it allowing it to get through our long periods of drought.  Animals seek out water and so a quick meal on a cactus pad can provide needed water for animals.  While the needles keep away some animals, there are others that are very adapted to life in the desert.  Javelina for example will munch on a cactus plant