Skip to main content

Pelicans in the Arizona Desert

 I have lived in Arizona for over sixteen years and in that time I have visited the Pacific coast many times.  During my visits, I typically see many pelicans.  They are usually flying over the water in large groups or standing on the top of buildings resting.  Where I have never seen pelicans is around my home in the Arizona desert...until recently.  


Adult Pelican in Water

I have written about wintering birds that I have found at my local riparian preserve before but on a recent trip, I saw a pelican.  That feeling of seeing a new bird never gets old but seeing a pelican so out of the normal environment that I associate with pelicans made me doubt what I was seeing.  This guy was not terribly close to where I was standing and was simply much bigger than other birds as I scanned the water.  It wasn't until I zoomed in with my camera that I realized that this stately fellow was a pelican.  Even then, I will admit that I snapped off a few photos and then looked back at my camera to triple verify what I was seeing.  There really was no mistaking that this large bird that I associate with the coast was standing in a man-made pond in the Arizona desert.


Adult Pelican with ID Tag

As I looped around the pond, I noticed a tag on his wing which made me very excited to see if I could figure out where he came from and if possible why he was here.   I have to admit that I couldn't figure out very much but I believe that he is from Idaho just based on the coloring of the tag and migrated here for the winter.  I found him fascinating to watch and as I headed home I assumed that he would have moved on by the time I returned the following week.


Two Pelicans on Water

A week later, I returned with my daughter and to my surprise not only was he still in the same pond but he now had a friend.  
They have discovered that Arizona has plenty of food for them and as many other winter birds already know, we have plenty of sun and warmth.  They were busy eating and paddling around when we visited.  It seemed as though all the other birds on the pond were completely unfazed with having such large guests to the water.  The smaller birds happily went about their own floating as the pelicans fed and swam.  



Nature never stops amazing me and the thrill of seeing wild animals so unexpected in my area gets me excited to continue exploring.  No matter how busy my week, I try to carve out a little nature time whether it is for a hike, sitting by the lake, visiting a local park, or wandering the riparian preserve.  Leaving the world behind for even a few moments can give me a new perspective and at times a new attitude for the rest of the day.  Everyone needs a source of recharging in their week.  For me, during the last several weeks the pelicans have been that source.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates  Last week, I talked about the hungry sparrows feasting among my jujube trees.  Apparently many have not heard of a jujube or red date before and are curious what to do with them besides just eating them from the tree.  Just to recap in case you have not read my previous post, when mostly yellowish in color they taste a little like a dry apple.  They get sweeter as they turn a reddish color and as they turn completely red and start to wrinkle slightly, they are closer to a raisin or a date.   No matter how you eat them, don't forget that there is a pit in the center.  I find that cutting them close to the pit around each side is the easiest way to rid the fruit of the pit. The Varied Uses of Jujubes The light green to yellow jujubes are easily shredded and used any time apples are called for.  I have used them in breads, muffins, and mixed with pear or apples for a fruit crisp when shredded right from the tree.  ...

Cacti Flowers in Arizona

The rather spiky cactus is closely associated with Arizona and our desert landscape.   Late April and early May are blessed with cacti flowers that dot the desert with color.  From small landscaping cacti to the towering saguaro , blooms in many colors adorn the desert and residential landscapes around Phoenix. Many homeowners use slow-growing cacti as landscaping around the home.  A single cactus plant needs very little water, can easily handle our 100 degree days, and in general, needs almost zero care.  Each spring, they will burst into bloom and brighten a front or back yard.  The size of the cactus plant doesn't determine whether or not they will bloom.  Some cacti stay very tiny for their entire lives while others tower many feet tall.  This tiny cactus easily grows in a pot and displays a ring of beautiful pink flowers each spring.  This cactus is really only the size of a grapefruit yet blooms year after year never really getting not...

Grackles Command the Backyard

  The grackle is one of the larger birds that I see frequenting my backyard.  They do not tend to go to the feeder thankfully as I imagine that they would make quite a mess.  They will, however, peck in the grass and on occasion eat the jujube fruit dropped by the sparrows.  As I explained in an earlier post , the sparrows seem playful and happy in their fruit feast.  The grackles however become very territorial and if they find a fruit that they claim as their own, they will continue picking it up and flying here and there until they feel they are safe from thieves and then very quickly eat.   I will admit that the grackle was one of my most disliked birds in Arizona until my daughter began pointing out all the interesting things about this bird.  My dislike stemmed from a large ficus tree that we had in the backyard of a former home.  The grackles would nest in the tree in the evening and would make so much noise that I would need to close...