Skip to main content

Pelicans in the Arizona Desert

 I have lived in Arizona for over sixteen years and in that time I have visited the Pacific coast many times.  During my visits, I typically see many pelicans.  They are usually flying over the water in large groups or standing on the top of buildings resting.  Where I have never seen pelicans is around my home in the Arizona desert...until recently.  


Adult Pelican in Water

I have written about wintering birds that I have found at my local riparian preserve before but on a recent trip, I saw a pelican.  That feeling of seeing a new bird never gets old but seeing a pelican so out of the normal environment that I associate with pelicans made me doubt what I was seeing.  This guy was not terribly close to where I was standing and was simply much bigger than other birds as I scanned the water.  It wasn't until I zoomed in with my camera that I realized that this stately fellow was a pelican.  Even then, I will admit that I snapped off a few photos and then looked back at my camera to triple verify what I was seeing.  There really was no mistaking that this large bird that I associate with the coast was standing in a man-made pond in the Arizona desert.


Adult Pelican with ID Tag

As I looped around the pond, I noticed a tag on his wing which made me very excited to see if I could figure out where he came from and if possible why he was here.   I have to admit that I couldn't figure out very much but I believe that he is from Idaho just based on the coloring of the tag and migrated here for the winter.  I found him fascinating to watch and as I headed home I assumed that he would have moved on by the time I returned the following week.


Two Pelicans on Water

A week later, I returned with my daughter and to my surprise not only was he still in the same pond but he now had a friend.  
They have discovered that Arizona has plenty of food for them and as many other winter birds already know, we have plenty of sun and warmth.  They were busy eating and paddling around when we visited.  It seemed as though all the other birds on the pond were completely unfazed with having such large guests to the water.  The smaller birds happily went about their own floating as the pelicans fed and swam.  



Nature never stops amazing me and the thrill of seeing wild animals so unexpected in my area gets me excited to continue exploring.  No matter how busy my week, I try to carve out a little nature time whether it is for a hike, sitting by the lake, visiting a local park, or wandering the riparian preserve.  Leaving the world behind for even a few moments can give me a new perspective and at times a new attitude for the rest of the day.  Everyone needs a source of recharging in their week.  For me, during the last several weeks the pelicans have been that source.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant

 Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant Did you know that the saguaro cactus grows only in certain parts of Arizona, Mexico, and California?  I became instantly enthused with the saguaro cactus when I moved to Arizona 16 years ago.  In fact, my enthusiasm has become something of a household joke as my family is so accustomed to seeing saguaro cacti in our daily lives.  Neighbors have the towering saguaro standing like sentinels in the front yards though in reality, the cactus was likely there long before the home was built. Protected Desert Plant Saguaro cacti can live a very long time.  Over 150 years old is not at all uncommon and the arms you see growing out from the cactus usually don't start to appear until the cactus is 75-100 years old.  Like all cactus plants, they grow very slowly and are not easily replaced when one is lost.  They are actually a protected plant species in Arizona.  When a new road is being put in or a housing development starts wandering into what once was

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates  Last week, I talked about the hungry sparrows feasting among my jujube trees.  Apparently many have not heard of a jujube or red date before and are curious what to do with them besides just eating them from the tree.  Just to recap in case you have not read my previous post, when mostly yellowish in color they taste a little like a dry apple.  They get sweeter as they turn a reddish color and as they turn completely red and start to wrinkle slightly, they are closer to a raisin or a date.   No matter how you eat them, don't forget that there is a pit in the center.  I find that cutting them close to the pit around each side is the easiest way to rid the fruit of the pit. The Varied Uses of Jujubes The light green to yellow jujubes are easily shredded and used any time apples are called for.  I have used them in breads, muffins, and mixed with pear or apples for a fruit crisp when shredded right from the tree.   I have mixed them in pancake batter in

Thorns, Needles, and Spikes Thrive in Arizona

  When most people think of Arizona they tend to think of desert and cactus.  Southwestern cactus bring to mind long needles and plants that can be admired but steered clear of.  While we do have a huge variety of cacti in our state, cacti are not the only plants to use needles, thorns, or spikes to protect themselves.   Barrel Cactus Pillow Available in Our Store by southwestcreations So why does a cactus plant have needles?  The obvious answer is to protect themselves but why do they need so much protection.  Cacti are made up of a huge amount of water.  The mighty saguaro for example can be caused to topple from too much water.  A cactus will soak up water and store it allowing it to get through our long periods of drought.  Animals seek out water and so a quick meal on a cactus pad can provide needed water for animals.  While the needles keep away some animals, there are others that are very adapted to life in the desert.  Javelina for example will munch on a cactus plant