Skip to main content

Common Sights in the Desert of Arizona

Several months ago, I mentioned that I have a greater appreciation for nature in my own backyard when I return from a trip.  Not seeing all the common sights around my home during a trip makes me more aware that what might be common for me, isn't common everywhere.  Since I have not been traveling much or really at all right now, it might be simple to slip back into a mindset of taking wildlife for granted if it were not for my Twitter account.  I know that many have a poor experience on social media in general but I have to say that I have experienced no issues with Twitter.  My followers and those I follow are mostly those into nature and my feed is filled with plants, animals, and landscapes from around the world.  Someone recently tweeted a photo of a bird very common to his area yet I had never seen anything like it before.  So for anyone who is not familiar with the common wildlife in Arizona, I am going to reveal the most common desert sightings.


Sparrows

Small Sparrow with Seed

I start with the beautiful little sparrows.  Next to doves, they are the most common bird that I see year-round whether in my yard or out on a hike.  These little guys flock to my feeder and playfully flap from branch to branch waiting for a turn for some seed.  They will hop on the ground pecking away hoping to catch some seed that has fallen.  In the open desert, these little guys will quickly fly from bush to bush not remaining in the open for very long.  I will occasionally see them flying a greater distance to get to a taller tree branch or another place they deem safer but usually, they are fast flyers for short distances.



Bunnies

Desert hares and jackrabbits are extremely common in the desert.  The desert hare with their very long ears can be seen hopping their way across the desert floor and tend to freeze if they are near cover or I suppose assume that I can not see them.  They will occasionally take off at a fast hop but my chances are greater of snapping a photo of a desert hare than a jackrabbit.  I see jackrabbits on my hikes but it is very rare for me to grab a photo of one.  They have exceptionally long legs and take off at a rapid hop at the first sign of danger.  Most of the time, I don't even know they are present until a jet of brown fur takes off from under a bush along the path.  They are adorable, they are fast, and they are everywhere in the deserts of Arizona.




Cacti


You might have assumed that this one was coming but cacti (plural of cactus) are everywhere in the deserts of Arizona.  So many different types, sizes, and shapes of cacti can be found in the desert, in the city, and in neighborhoods.  Many of my neighbors have towering saguaros in their front yards, and cacti are commonly used in a variety of desert home landscaping.  


A cactus plant is such a common sight for me every day that I will often overlook them completely until they burst into bloom in the spring or fall. 
You might not think that there is much variety from one cactus plant to another but you will be surprised to hear that cacti are actually quite varied.  Most cacti are green with large spikes but some have no spikes at all while others are purple in color.  


As I was reminded this past week, what is common for me isn't common for everyone.  I hope that you enjoyed some of the animals and plants that I tend to take for granted every day.  Beautiful plants and animals can be found everywhere we look but at times we need to remind ourselves to look at our surroundings with fresh eyes to truly understand the beauty right in front of us.  If you would enjoy seeing plants, animals, and landscapes from Arizona, consider following me on Twitter for nature photos and positivity posted daily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant

 Saguaro Cactus Towering Desert Giant Did you know that the saguaro cactus grows only in certain parts of Arizona, Mexico, and California?  I became instantly enthused with the saguaro cactus when I moved to Arizona 16 years ago.  In fact, my enthusiasm has become something of a household joke as my family is so accustomed to seeing saguaro cacti in our daily lives.  Neighbors have the towering saguaro standing like sentinels in the front yards though in reality, the cactus was likely there long before the home was built. Protected Desert Plant Saguaro cacti can live a very long time.  Over 150 years old is not at all uncommon and the arms you see growing out from the cactus usually don't start to appear until the cactus is 75-100 years old.  Like all cactus plants, they grow very slowly and are not easily replaced when one is lost.  They are actually a protected plant species in Arizona.  When a new road is being put in or a housing development starts wandering into what once was

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates

Uses For Jujubes - Red Dates  Last week, I talked about the hungry sparrows feasting among my jujube trees.  Apparently many have not heard of a jujube or red date before and are curious what to do with them besides just eating them from the tree.  Just to recap in case you have not read my previous post, when mostly yellowish in color they taste a little like a dry apple.  They get sweeter as they turn a reddish color and as they turn completely red and start to wrinkle slightly, they are closer to a raisin or a date.   No matter how you eat them, don't forget that there is a pit in the center.  I find that cutting them close to the pit around each side is the easiest way to rid the fruit of the pit. The Varied Uses of Jujubes The light green to yellow jujubes are easily shredded and used any time apples are called for.  I have used them in breads, muffins, and mixed with pear or apples for a fruit crisp when shredded right from the tree.   I have mixed them in pancake batter in

Thorns, Needles, and Spikes Thrive in Arizona

  When most people think of Arizona they tend to think of desert and cactus.  Southwestern cactus bring to mind long needles and plants that can be admired but steered clear of.  While we do have a huge variety of cacti in our state, cacti are not the only plants to use needles, thorns, or spikes to protect themselves.   Barrel Cactus Pillow Available in Our Store by southwestcreations So why does a cactus plant have needles?  The obvious answer is to protect themselves but why do they need so much protection.  Cacti are made up of a huge amount of water.  The mighty saguaro for example can be caused to topple from too much water.  A cactus will soak up water and store it allowing it to get through our long periods of drought.  Animals seek out water and so a quick meal on a cactus pad can provide needed water for animals.  While the needles keep away some animals, there are others that are very adapted to life in the desert.  Javelina for example will munch on a cactus plant